Cranberry-Brie Filo Poppers
These individual two-bite treats are an elegant addition to your New Year’s celebration. You can refrigerate the baked poppers for up to one day and crisp them up just before serving in a warm oven. The combination of the creamy cheese and berry sauce brings out the fresh red fruit in the Red Blend.
- 1/3 cup whole berry cranberry sauce
- zest of one orange
- 4 sheets (18 by 13-inch) frozen filo dough, thawed in the refrigerator overnight
- ½ cup (1 stick) salted butter, melted
- 8 ounces brie cheese
- sea salt
- sesame seeds, for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees with racks in the upper- and lower-third positions. Line two 13 by 18-inch rimmed baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper. In a small bowl, stir together the cranberry sauce and orange zest, and set aside.
- Lay one sheet of filo dough on a clean work surface or cutting board; keep the remaining pieces covered with plastic wrap and a damp kitchen towel. Brush the entire surface of the dough with melted butter, then cut crosswise into four strips about 4 ½-inches wide.
- Arrange ½ ounce (1 tablespoon) brie centered at the bottom of each strip, leaving about a 1 inch boarder on three sides. Top with 1 teaspoon cranberry sauce and a pinch of sea salt. Roll the filo around the filling and pinch the ends closed to seal. Arrange the filo poppers on the prepared baking sheets, brush with melted butter, and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Repeat with additional filo sheets and filling to form 16 poppers.
- Bake until the filo is crisp and golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to cool slightly. Serve warm.
Za’atar-Crusted Herbed Potato Chips
Serves 8 to 10
Take store-bought potato chips to the next level by coating them with a fragrant za’atar spice blend and layering them in a bowl with fresh herbs.
- 11 ounces potato chips
- 3 to 4 tablespoons za’atar spice blend, to taste
- 1/3 cup chopped dill, plus additional for garnish
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley, plus additional for garnish
- zest of one lemon
- sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees with a rack in the center position and arrange the potato chips on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake the potato chips until fragrant and the oils begin to release, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer the potato chips to a large bowl. Toss with za’atar spice, dill, parsley, and lemon zest. Season with sea salt to taste. Garnish with additional fresh herbs. Serve immediately.